Thursday, February 28, 2008

Béchamel

I have just figured out how to make a mushroom sauce out of a Béchamel base. This is a special day indeed. I have sought long and hard for this sauce, and at 6:00pm, February the 28th, I now know that if you want an awesome, awesome mushroom sort of sauce, you do everything I used to do (Saute mushrooms in butter or olive oil, with onions and garlic and salt and pepper and stuff), and then,

In a separate pan, you make the magical béchamel base, which is a couple of tablespoons of butter, cooked till frothy, and then a couple of tablespoons of flour, cooked till golden, and then a couple of cups of milk and/or chicken stock, added slowly, then boiled for a while (during which you add the yummy mushroom goodness and maybe a bay leaf if you want it to taste a little more like gravy) until thickened and reduced.

Awesome

In the olden days of yore, I tried to make this sauce with chicken broth and lots and lots of cheese, which never came out right. But those olden days are behind me, and a new age begins today.

No comments: