Thursday, June 5, 2008

Blase

I went in to the doctor today for some ultrasounds of my stomach and surrounding organs (everything's fine). The doctor was a gruff elderly Austrian lady, and she asked me what was up and then took ultrasounds. Then she told me to clean up and eat breakfast and drink some water, and we'll do more scans when my blase was full. I didn't quite pick up everything she said, and asked her if I should go eat my breakfast, and she said yeah, eat my breakfast and drink my water, which she left out on a table for me. She left the room, and I said "What's a Blase?" (Pronounced BLAH-zeh), but noone answered because I said this to myself. I figured she needed my stomach and things to be full so she could get a look to see what they look like when they're full or something. So I went to the waiting room with my water and my breakfast, which was packed in my Mr. Bento (which turns out to actually be one of my favorite possessions in the world), and my water, which was in a very large 1.5-2L plastic pitcher. And then I studied my music history notes (test's in a few days) and ate my breakfast and drank my water and waited. There was an elderly man who was there before me with another pitcher of water and I guess no breakfast, since he had no Mr Bento and all. Anyway I waited, and waited, and started noticing the time, since I had somewhere to go at noon (I got there at 9:30), and after drinking half the water in boredom, and going to the restroom, and then drinking the rest of the water, it was getting late, so after going to the bathroom again, I went to the receptionist and asked her whether I could come back at 1pm, to which she responded "We've been just waiting for you to tell us whether your blase is full. We can't do the scan until you tell us it's full." At which point i realised that Blase is the german word for bladder. I told her I would have to drink some more and went back to the waiting room with a third liter of water. Later, I was joking with the doctor about the whole situation, and told her "I even thought, 'Why are they giving me all this water'". She responded, gruffly, "The water is for your Blase." Adventures in Austria.

No comments: